Most businesses face different complex issues on a daily basis. In such situations, standard software does not always perform the job, so businesses search for customized solutions.
Custom software development is the process of conceptualising, creating, deploying, and maintaining software for a specific organisation to address the needs of specific groups.
If the organization has specific needs it can choose a commercial over-the-counter software package or search for a solution that has been specifically designed to address clear-cut needs. The commercial off-the-shelf software is aimed at a mass audience because it works from a broader perspective.
For your daily business applications, we believe that you should invest in a commercial offering that will solve your specific business issues. Let’s explore how custom software can be used to solve your business problems and drive growth.
Many companies require bespoke or custom software development to modify, integrate or customize their applications to improve their efficiency and increase functionality. Moreover, bespoke or custom software helps to scale your business to meet customer needs and market demands.
Some things you need to know about bespoke or custom software development to help you make the right decision:
Packaged commercial software helps meet the general requirements of the customer, but custom software development comes into play when enterprises need to streamline their requirements and move beyond the general offerings.
Custom software development is an option to consider because it meets specific requirements and is cost-competitive.
There are many benefits of custom software and these include:
1. Flexibility — one of the best reasons why organizations invest in custom software development is scalability. When you collect information, you will be able to assess your future requirements. Once future requirements are assessed then these factors can be carefully embedded into applications instead of purchasing expensive licenses.
2. Efficacy — Custom software is always structured in a manner that supports the changing needs of an organization..
3. Independent — Custom software development will reduce the burden of sourcing licenses and will be developed to meet your individual company needs and requirements.
4. Profit-earning — Organizations who have chosen to invest in bespoke or custom software development can attain a license. It can then be sold as a full-fledge software product and your company can earn royalties.
5. Low Integration costs —Bespoke or custom software can be built in a manner to integrate the applications of your business and what you want it to achieve.
Considering these key points:
1. To build or to buy: A business needs to decide whether to build bespoke or custom software or to go with an available packaged software. If the existing software solutions cover at least 80% of your functionalities, then you probably don’t need to build custom software.
2. Specify your requirements: Before stating your requirements, take the time to go through all the functionalities of your organization so that goals, objectives, ROI, and budget, are considered.
3. Development methodology: Custom software development methodology is an important step to carry out for your project. The decision made is based on the complexity of the project, time duration, and the importance of it.
Different methodologies used for custom software development:
DevOps: This is an agile-based methodology that is used to integrate software development and other IT functions in the design and development process.
Agile: This methodology breaks apart the requirements into bits and swiftly delivers based on these lines.
Rapid Application development: This software application development method does not follow a precarious approach and compresses the design and code, making it an intermingled functionality.
Scaled Agile Framework: This software development methodology helps to scale down the agile methodology to an enterprise like the Global development team.
Prototype Methodology: Prototype software development methodology is a specialized procedure that lets the developers make samples of the resolution in order to validate its functional elements.
Scrum methodology: SCRUM is the most widely preferred agile software application development approach. This software development methodology is suitable for those projects where constant alterations are required for complex development requirements.
4. Technology used: Another important thing in custom software development is the technology used. The technology selected should be based on the requirements and style of functioning. Based on the needs, you can choose and make a call, but consider these emerging technologies:
Open source - Open source is a source code that is open to the public. Linux is a well-known open-source operating system that helps to improve the overall productivity of custom software application development.
Artificial Intelligence (AI) - AI has revolutionized businesses with the help of Machine Learning, Natural Language processes and Chatbots. Artificial Intelligence has enabled the emulation of human emotions and intelligence to improve the decision-making process and to engage customers in the best possible manner.
Cloud computing - Benefits of cloud-based custom software development are that it helps in supporting coding, integrating, and testing to build applications keeping in mind its cost and development time. It provides you the convenience of not restraining to a location and produces work on cloud-enable faster implementation.
Blockchain - Software developers are increasingly switching over to blockchain ledgers to build secure applications
Data Analytics - It is important to incorporate data analytical tools for predictive analysis and customer engagement strategies.
With this information in mind, consider whether it is the right time for your business to opt for a custom software development company that can meet your specific requirements.
Please feel free to contact us.